Thursday 10 March 2011

Attacked by Clan Pestilens

As if the spies of Clan Pestilens grew angered at the abominations I have created, and sent their diseased underlings to bite me in my sleep, I have only now just recovered from what was easily the longest lasting and worst feeling flu of my life! A week out of commission has caused me to be unable to post my previous progress, until now.

As I said, that converting work was great fun, but I really had to get to painting the now 120 clanrat/ skavenslaves in my collection. I have decided to to a variation of the dip method, painting only a few main colours on there (and the eyes) and then washing the entire thing with Badab Black. I like the effect, and if I ever get the time and inclination to add more detail I can easily make the models look that much better. For now, I am satisfied with the table top quality "quick" paint job for the rank and file guys.

I primed everything with Army Painters "Leather Brown" Spray. This stuff was amazing to work with, dries nice and thin and covers well, and the nozzle is a dream to work with compared to GW primers.

For the robe areas I used Baal Red Wash (Citadel). The metal parts I painted with Astronomicon Grey, which I added water to for easier painting (and being a citadel foundation, it held its pigment).

Next I painted the eyes (yellow on the one above but I corrected this to Scorpion green for the rest. After painting O&G I got real tired of red eyes, so my army will possibly all have green eyes instead!

 After those simple steps, they didnt look like much, but with a generous coat over the entire model of Badab Black, it all comes together!

I think the green eyes work really well, and certainly their exposure to warpstone could explain this change!

As you can see I have left out several details, such as teeth and basing. The basing I will definitely do for all of them, likely all at once at the end. The teeth and other details may or may not happen beyond the first rank, depending on my time, and efforts.


On a results to effort ratio, I would have to say I made out like a bandit with these guys, I really dig the look, and they are quick and easy.

I now paint them about 15 at a time, and have roughly 60 complete. I have stopped here (at the end of 60, because I may want to change the paint scheme a bit for the ones with spears, who will represent my slaves most likely).

So thats the "less exciting" side of things. Painting the rank and file. I couldn't stop myself from doing some conversions in there, so hang on just a bit longer for that stuff (to be posted soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment